The Best I Ever Had

Sort of in the tune of Vertical Horizon's song of the same name or at least that was the inspiration of this piece.
So the memories sail away out to the grey sky morning,
Sometimes the pain feels like it is going to stay,
Through the cold and winter,
It feels unfair now that you are gone now,
My life feels so cold because you were the best
I had ever had,
They say that time heals all wounds,
But they never met you my dear,
You stole my heart right away,
From the first moment you spoke my name,
And I remember that night,
When our love felt like it would last,
But than before I knew it you seemed
To be nothing but a distant memory,
Oh how it hurt those tears I cried,
I didn’t want to let you go,
Wanting to just go and hide,
But the pain was so much to bear
And I know you would have wanted
Me to be happy,
But it still didn’t feel the same
The way it should have now,
Because you were the best I ever had,
Sometimes it still feels like a dream
As if it isn’t real now,
As if the moments we had are caught up
Deep inside this heart
Deep where no one knows,
Your face is set there in stone
Just like the way I remember now,
Even though the pictures I had of you
Have been gone for so long,
I still can remember your face
And the way you looked at me
When we first met,
And how happy I was with you,
The moment you asked me to marry you,
But now it seems so far away
In that gray sky morning,
And now I am reminded of the best
I ever had,
There are days I wonder how you are doing,
Do you still remember that girl
The one you promised your life to?
Did you ever find love like you had once?
Do I stain your mind in the grey sky mornings?
There was so many times,
I would have wanted the answers and as I sit here tonight
Looking at the grey sky morning,
I still think of you
And wonder what could have been,
You are an unclosed story
Never one that got an answer,
But your memories still remain
Reminding me of those days again,
Back when things were so plain,
And when life was simpler,
Back when you were the best I ever had,
I still wonder now
If you were to see me would you tell me hello,
Would you show me how much you missed me?
Would you take me in your arms?
Would you give me a kiss?
Would you say to me that I was the best,
The best you ever had?

Dedicated to James Dunn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Build Upon That Emotion

I'm Your Girl

There Are Those Moments